Homeowner Partner Families are selected based on the following:
- Condition of current housing, homelessness or overcrowding
- Those who are most in need are selected first.
- Applicant must be low income and meet our financial guidelines
- The applicant must not be eligible for conventional home financing through a bank. Family income must still be within Habitat guidelines at time of construction.
- Ability to make a monthly, no-interest mortgage payment
- Person who signs the mortgage must have a stable income from any source. In addition, you will be required to save $1200 in your family escrow account to pre-pay your first year of homeowner’s insurance and any closing fees on your home.
- Consideration of credit rating
- Willingness and ability to complete 400 hours of “sweat equity” working on your home and other Habitat projects
- 150 of those hours must be completed before the start of project.
- Must have been a resident of the Crystal Coast area for at least a year and be willing to live in either Onslow or Carteret County
The home you are applying for, if you are selected, will be:
- A simple, basic structure with no “frills”
- Built with money and labor donated by people
who are concerned about the way their neighbors live
- Built when land and materials become available
- Built with the help of you, your family and friends